The Bronx is NYC’s northernmost borough, and is a must-visit, thanks to all it has to offer. It is located only a short distance from Manhattan’s Midtown, reachable by subway ride. Vacationers will find the incredible culinary scene, with some of the best Italian, Latin, and soul food. It boasts a fascinating history and a plethora of beautiful art galleries.
Apart from being the birthplace of hip-hop and home to America’s largest zoo, the Bronx has some of the prettiest green spaces, including the New York Botanical Garden and Pelham Bay Park. While it’s one of the lesser-visited boroughs in NYC, The Bronx is a wonderful destination. Want to experience the best of the Bronx? Here is the ultimate travel guide and things to do in the Bronx.
The Best Time To Visit The Bronx
Bronx, NY, USA
May and June are the best months to visit the Bronx for ideal weather. July is the busiest month, then May and December follow immediately.
During these times, the hotels and flights are quite pricey, making it an unpleasant time to visit for vacationers on a budget.
November is the most affordable month of the year, making it a perfect choice for exploring the borough. For outdoor adventure, plan a trip to the Bronx during the warmer months.
- Best time for good weather: May and June
- Busiest Months: July, May, December
- Best time for outdoor adventures: Summer
- Cheapest month to visit the Bronx: November
Getting Around The Bronx
Just as in most parts of New York City, walking and biking are favorite ways of getting around this borough. Vacationers will find beautiful pathways and Citi Bike stations all over, giving tourists an affordable means of getting around.
When it comes to public transportation, the subway system is the best since it can take vacationers to whichever destination in the Bronx and the rest of NYC.
- Cost of subway ride: $2.75
Alternatively, visitors can make use of public buses and ferries to get to various destinations. There are many stations connecting the borough to the rest of the city.
Looking to get a round in a private car? Consider Uber/Lyft, which are plentiful in the Bronx, except, cabs are more affordable than them.
Vacationers who’d love to drive on their own will find plenty of parking spots through the Bronx.
These Are The Best Things You Can Do In The Bronx
Pelham Bay Park
Featuring beautiful miles of shoreline, oak forests, and marshes, Pelham Bay Park is NYC’s largest park. Covering a space of 2,772 acres, this park offers numerous outdoor activities, including horseback riding, golf, tennis, and football, among others.
One of the places to explore while in the park is the museum of Bartow-Pell Mansion.
The Yankee Stadium, The Bronx, New York City, NY
Yankee is one of the top destinations in New York City for sports fans. Home to the 27-time World Champions, the stadium offers an unforgettable baseball-watching experience.
There are plenty of dining options for vacationers, including Mighty Quinn’s BBQ and Haru Sushi.
There is a long, interesting history to catch here. Learn about America Baseball’s most successful team and some of the most famous baseball icons.
New York Botanical Garden
Boasting several magnificent gardens, New York Botanical Garden is one of the most iconic landmarks in this borough. It hosts several events throughout the year, including the impressive Holiday Train Shoe and the Orchid Show.
Explore the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory for a real tropical paradise experience. The surrounding is absolutely stunning, and it’s hard to get out of this botanical garden without taking some epic pictures.
Often described as a small city in a big city, City Island is spectacular and has a lot of fun experiences awaiting outdoor enthusiasts.
There are plenty of art galleries, beautiful stores, historic homes, and top-notch seaside restaurants offering incredible culinary experiences.
Best Neighborhoods In The Bronx
Bronx, NY, USA
The Bronx is one of the most impressive boroughs, offering solo travelers, families, and couples plenty of fun activities in the Big Apple. Here are the best neighborhoods in the Bronx.
Baychester: Best Neighborhood For Families
Baychester’s urban lifestyle and family-friendly atmosphere make it one of the best neighborhoods in the Bronx. It is brimming with several shopping opportunities, green spaces, basketball courts, and a fantastic food scene.
The Mall at Bay Plaza has everything vacationers could look for, thanks to its numerous stores offering different goods.
One of the best public beaches in the borough, Orchard Beach is only a short drive away. There is a fun experience to develop in this neighborhood.
Pelham Bay: Outdoor Adventures
Pelham Bay is home to a famous park of the same name, situated on its northeastern edge. Pelham Bay Park is NYC’s largest public park.
While this park is one of the Bronx’s most popular attractions, this neighborhood is one of the least visited. It boasts a wonderful blend of urban and suburban architecture, evident in the gorgeous buildings lining its streets.
Fordham: Provides Access To Popular Destinations
Some of the most famous destinations, such as the New York Botanical Garden and the Bronx Zoo are located near Fordham, making them an excellent choice for tourists.
Located on the western side of the Bronx, this neighborhood boasts some of the best Latin American restaurants.
Morris Park: Access To Big City Amenities And Plenty Of Outdoor Space
Lying east of the Bronx Zoo, Morris Park is located on the borough’s eastern side, and is among the best neighborhoods for families, thanks to its affordability and plenty of fun activities.
Vacationers can go picnicking, explore its beautiful gardens, spot some wildlife, and experience its amazing food scene. Nearby places to explore include New York Botanical Garden and Bronx Zoo.
Where To Stay In The Bronx
Bronx, NY, USA
Wingate By Wyndham Bronx/Haven Park
The rooms are stylish and each comes with free internet, flat-screen TVs, refrigerators, and more. Staying in this beautiful hotel gives vacationers the convenience of visiting other popular spots in the borough.
- Address: 2568 Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10451
- Amenities: Fitness center, restaurant, bar/lounge, room service, free Wi-Fi, coffee machine, valet parking, business center, and a flat-screen TV.
Residence Inn by Marriott New York The Bronx at Metro Center Atrium
Residence Inn by Marriott New York The Bronx at Metro Center Atrium guarantees a safe and beautiful travel experience of the Bronx and NYC.
The pet-friendly is located near some of the borough’s best destinations, including the Yankee Stadium, Bronx Zoo, New York Botanical Garden, and more.
- Address: 1776 Eastchester Road, Bronx, NY 10461
- Amenities: Fitness center, bar/lounge, free Wi-Fi, coffee machine, free parking, and business center.
Opera House Hotel
Located an eight-minute drive from the United Nations Headquarters, the Opera House Hotel is one of a kind.
This hotel offers a wonderful accommodation experience, thanks to its world-class amenities.
- Address: 436 East 149th Street, Bronx, NY 10455
- Amenities: Fitness center, coffee shop, business center, Wi-Fi available in all areas, flat-screen TV, free toiletries, meeting/banquet facilities, laundry service, and laundry facilities.
Where To Eat In the Bronx
Bronx, NY, USA
- McDonald’s: This restaurant is dedicated to serving high-quality food and offering outstanding, quick customer service. The Menu is extensive and includes some of the most delicious burgers, coffee, and more.
- Hudson Garden Grill: This is a farm-to-table restaurant located at the New York Botanical Garden. It offers an adorable sit-down spot for visitors to explore the magnificent botanical garden. The ingredients are locally sourced and ethically produced. Vacationers choosing to have lunch here will enjoy seasonal manus, with some of the tastiest dishes in the borough.
- Louie & Ernie’s Pizza: This restaurant has been there for more than 60 years, and is dedicated to serving the best food Bronx. They boast an outdoor patio where vacationers can dine as they enjoy the beautiful surrounding.
Traveling Tips To The Bronx
- If visiting the Bronx in summer, especially in Yankee Stadium, it is important to stay hydrated and wear sunscreen for protection against the sun’s rays. Other than Yankee Stadium, there are other numerous outdoor things to do in the borough, including spending time at the Bronx Zoo.
- The NYC subway system is the most accessible, affordable, and reliable means of getting around the Bronx. The lines serving this borough are 1,2,3,4,5,6, B, and D.
- Stay in the hostel to save on accommodation. Couchsurfing is also a great option if traveling on a budget.
- Stick to budget-friendly activities, like visiting the beach. Orchard Beach in Pelham Bay Park is one f the best public beaches to explore.
- Instead of dining in expensive restaurants, vacationers can cook their own meals to save some dollars.
Spending A Perfect Day In The Bronx
Yankee Stadium Station, Bronx
There are several attractions to explore in the Bronx that a day won’t be enough. But if going on a day trip to this beautiful borough, there is a way to spend the time, and have an unforgettable 24-hour experience of this part of NYC.
What not to miss on a day trip to the Bronx is the Yankee Stadium. Whether travelers are fans of baseball or not, a visit to this amazing stadium will offer a memorable experience.
From Yankee Stadium, visit the Bronx Zoo, the largest urban zoo in the country. This place is a must-visit for families and animal lovers. There is a lot to experience in the zoo, including over 650 species of wildlife and fascinating exhibits, like the Wild Asia Monorail and the Congo Gorilla Forest.
New York Botanical Garden is a great spot to complete a day trip to the Bronx. Just a cross the road from America’s largest urban zoo, vacationers will find this beautiful botanical garden that stretches for 250 acres. It is one of the most beautiful places in the Bronx, hands down.
Q: Is the Bronx worth visiting?
The Bronx is NYC’s northernmost borough, and is a must-visit, thanks to all it has to offer. Vacationers will find the incredible culinary scene, with some of the best Italian, Latin, and soul food. It boasts a fascinating history, numerous outdoor activities, and a plethora of beautiful art galleries.
Q: What is the Bronx famous for?
Apart from being the birthplace of hip-hop and home to America’s largest zoo, the Bronx is known for some of the prettiest green spaces, including the New York Botanical Garden and Pelham Bay Park. It is also famous for being home to Yankee Stadium.
Q: Is the Bronx still rough?
The Bronx has always had a reputation for being one of the toughest spots in NYC. And it’s true that there are dangers here, but no more than in other big cities in the United States. Even the NYC subway can be safe and enjoyable to ride; it’s all about how tourists and residents handle themselves and their surroundings.